Connecting a power strip and an extension cord together is very practical.
But is it really a good idea? Nothing is less sure !
However, it is true that it can be useful.
And that’s what I wanted to do the other day to connect several devices.
But when my husband who is an electrician saw my installation…
He immediately told me to unplug everything .
He explained to me that it was dangerous. Here’s why :
Can a power strip be plugged into an extension cord?
From a strictly technical point of view , you are going to tell me that it is quite possible to do so.
And you are right.
Just plug the two together. Child’s play !
But wait, I haven’t told you everything yet…
Yes, just because it’s easy to do… doesn’t mean you have to do it!
On the contrary…
You wonder why? Here is the answer :
Why is it dangerous to plug a power strip into an extension cord?
Because this type of branching is called a cascade branching .
It’s what ?
It is quite simply when one plug is connected to another plug.
A simple example? Connect a power strip to an extension cord .
In the end, the problem is that each power strip is designed to support a certain power.
If several devices are connected to one, the power of these devices adds up.
It accumulates and exceeds the recommended charge.
There is therefore a real risk of electrical overload.
As a result, the wire before the socket and the extension cord can start to heat up .
And unfortunately, they can then catch fire .
Avoid plugging a power strip into an extension cord
It is therefore important to use them well.
And that means not plugging a power strip into an extension cord.
And this is true whether it is a simple extension cord or an extension cord with multiple socket.
This precaution guarantees the correct operation of your appliances and limits the risk of fire.
To respect the safety instructions, it is necessary to check the maximum power that it can support.
And it should not be exceeded by connecting too many electrical devices to it.
In general, this is written on the power cable.
How to avoid the risk of fire due to a power strip or an extension cord?
– First of all, to avoid any risk, you must first obtain good quality power strips and extension cords.
– Use an extension cord of reasonable length.
– Check that they are properly connected.
– Take care that they cannot be unplugged or moved by accident.
– Even if it is very practical to connect at the same time, the electric plates, the garland of the fir tree, the raclette machine and a lamp… on an extension cord with a power strip. Don’t! It’s dangerous. Do not connect them with each other, in a row. You just don’t have to extend a power strip .
– Next, avoid putting too many multi-sockets at the same time on the wall outlets. Your electrical installation may not be designed for this. And you risk breaking everything!
– Finally, in all cases, it is strictly inadvisable to connect powerful devices to a power strip. Fridge, plates and especially radiators… Forget! So you’re wondering what’s the point if you can’t plug anything into it? It’s simple.
Reserve its use for small devices such as laptop chargers , a coffee maker, a screen…
Don’t forget that according to the National Observatory for Electrical Safety, there are 240,000 declarations of home fires in France with insurance companies.
And 20 to 35% of these fires have an electrical source . So be very careful.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings